Travellers make great rail journeys all over the world, some of which are legendary. Train travel is a fantastic way to get from place to place, but Rail holidays give Travel by train a whole new dimension. The difference is that the train is not simply a means of getting to and from destinations, the train itself becomes a moving destination!
There are varied options for Rail Journeys in South Africa, from five-star luxury cruise trains and considerably cheaper yet comfortable long-distance passenger trains to a handful of steam trains that do shorter Rail tours.
Rail Journeys in South Africa
Rail Journeys in South Africa enable travellers to experience the soul of the country in comfort. There are two companies that offer luxury Rail journeys, one that operates The Blue Train, and the other Rovos Rail, which also operates the fabulous but smaller ShongololoExpress. These trains are incredibly popular for Great rail journeys through South Africa as well as for unforgettable Rail holidays.
Highlights of Great rail journeys in South Africa include:
- Golf vacations touring aboard the ShongololoExpress. These Great rail trips take 12-15 days and go beyond South Africa’s borders to Swaziland, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique.
- The best of the best Great rail journeys aboard Rovos Rail. Plan a golf holiday, an African safari, or an epic 15-day rail holiday across southern Africa to Dar es Salaam. Corporate and private train safaris are also available.
- Great rail journeys between Cape Town and Pretoria aboard The Blue Train stopping over either in Kimberley or at the iconic Lord Milner Hotel in Matjiesfontein, depending on the direction of Train travel. Both luxury and deluxe accommodation is available.
- Weekly long-distance train trips aboard ShosholozaMeyl Premier Classe trains. These less expensive but nevertheless Great rail journeys operated by South African Railways, run between Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Durban and offer sleeper coaches. Shosholoza Meyl also operates tourist class trains.
- While it doesn’t do long-distance Train travel or Rail Holidays, when talking about Rail Journeys in South Africa the relatively new electric, suburban Gautrain must be included. It runs between Johannesburg’s O. R. Tambo International Airport and Sandton and also links to Park Station in the heart of Johannesburg.
Rail holidays and Rail Journeys in South Africa are diverse and exciting. Plan yours today.